Saturday, January 5, 2008

So today has not been lacking in excitement. Most of you know I have been waiting to go skiing again since I got pregnant in the summer of 2006. Rich has been working hard up at the ski hill clearing brush before the snow fell in order to gain us some passes for the season. We were SOOO thrilled to find in our hands before the Christmas holidays 2 ski passes that were ready to be used. We arrived home from Lethbridge on Sat. 29th and spur of the moment we decided after church the next day we would head out to the hill.....quick quick we got all our gear together and up to the hill we trekked!

Even before I got my first run in, I was having problem with my boots it seemed. By the time I got down the first run....my toes were tingling.......I came to the conclusion that today I could not ski. I left Richard at the hill with someone else that we had met up with and I called it a day. I found out later that my sock was the problem. It was sitting at just the right spot to dig into my calf.....pretty much like putting your boots on with an elastic band wrapped around your calf ouch.


So more determined than ever, this week I took out a little time to research which socks had been the prize winner of my past skiing experiences....with some luck, a babysitter, and some friends.....today we went up to the ski hill. I was so thrilled even before we did our first run that you probably could have seen me glowing from Grand Forks. During the first run of the day Dylan took a jump....then Richard followed. SOMEHOW Rich's ski came off....the second one came bounding back and hit Richard directly in the head as he skidded through the snow making that moment....that much colder. Now the second ski did come off....and lets just say it wasn't because it hit the ground....yup...my husband has a hard head....
He eventually got up and we went for round 2. At the top of the lift, Dylan happens to ask "is it bleeding?" So we take off the toque and found out that not only is it bleeding but there is a gouge in his head. So we ski down run 2.....go to the first aid station and find out ...yup he's going to need stitches. We sat had lunch while Dylan and Chester finish up a few more runs and off to the hospital. I think he got maybe 3 stitches....but a headache to accompany that.


Well...it's been a rough start...but one of these days we will get in a full day of good skiing I just know it....or at least the next time we go maybe I can get in 3 runs...hehe....we are certainly thankful for our ski passes.
Some of you have been asking "where are you at"? So far things job wise are the same. I am going to be co-teaching the preschool for 3hrs, 2 days a week. As well I am on-call sub for another place in Grand Forks. Richard is picking up work at the mill...mostly for clean up on saturdays. We are blessed for those days that he does get to work....both for income and sanity wise (I love having my hubby, father...home but there is a day I need just to feel like I'm getting all that I can done.....for some reason that gets shoved aside when Rich is home....just cause I love spending time with him soooo much). We are still job hunting and looking for the right opportunity for our family. We don't want to just move just to do some odd job....if we have to move....well it will be because we are going to something that we see ourselves doing. God is continually whispering peace and comfort into our lives and because of that we see hope for our future. Thank you all for the blessings (thanks Matt & Mir, our moms and dads) and all the encouragement that we have received (there are too many to name!). We believe...and through that we have hope.
Have a great weekend......love ya!

4 comments:

Rick and Sandy said...

It's great to hear you're getting some skiing in, in spite of the cold feet, headache, stiches and all...Dad & Karl are looking forward to joining you when we come for Christmas. Sure wish you wouldn't have returned the helmet though...I hope Kristy has one!?!

Thanks for chatting with us today Andrew...see you all soon.

Carla said...

Yikes sounds like some scary skiing. Good luck next time. Here's hoping you get in 4 or 5 runs, at least.

Perry said...

Have the two of you considered cross-country skiing? I think it might be a bit safer!! We're glad you both have survived your ski experiences.

eileen said...

I was going to suggest snow-shoeing